Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Garlicky Shrimp Avocado Sandwiches

 


I love when a recipe tastes as good as it looks.  There's nothing worse than looking forward to a dish, only for it to totally disappoint you.  And when the recipe is quick and easy, yet still makes a beautiful presentation, it's a win-win in my book!

This recipe fits into both categories.  I'm not sure why I ever lived under the avocado rock, but I did and I'm making up for lost time.  I don't think I ever even tasted an avocado until a few years ago.  It's creamy, delicate, and oh so healthy.  I buy at least one a week now!

Wes' favorite breakfast is a piece of toast smeared with fresh avocado, topped with a pinch of salt.  Sounds simple but he looks forward to it every day.  I knew this recipe had his name written all over it and I was right.  We both loved it!  

I chose to use Everything Buns from Trader Joe's and while they were fine, I think I'd prefer something with a little more give.  Once toasted, these became giant croutons and were a little crumbly to eat.  That didn't stop me from cleaning my plate, but if I was around civilization, I might care a little more :)




Garlicky Shrimp Avocado Sandwiches
from:  Annie's Eats

{Print recipe!}

Ingredients:
2 ripe avocados
juice of 1 lime
1/2 tsp salt
4 slices crusty Artisan bread
10-12 oz. medium-sized shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 T. olive oil, plus more for brushing
3/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced
salt and pepper, to taste
pea shoots or sprouts, for garnish

Directions:
Preheat the broiler.  Remove the pits from the avocados and and scoop the flesh into a medium bowl.  Coarsely mash with a fork.  Add in the lime juice and salt and continue to mash until the mixture has reached your desired consistency.

Place slices of bread on a baking sheet, brush lightly with olive oil, and place underneath the broiler until just slightly charred, about 2 minutes.  Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.  Spread each piece with a layer of the avocado spread.  Sprinkle lightly with sea salt.

Place the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the red pepper flakes and garlic to the oil.  Let warm slowly, about 5 minutes, to infuse the oil with the flavor of the red pepper and garlic.  After 5 minutes, increase the heat to medium-high.  Add the shrimp to the pan in a single layer.  Let cook until just pink on the bottom side.  Flip with tongs and let cook about 1 minute more, just until the shrimp are opaque and cooked throughout.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Remove from the heat.  Toss lightly to coat with the garlic oil.  Let cool briefly.  Layer the shrimp over the avocado spread on the bread.  Top each serving with a small handful of pea shoots or sprouts.  


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment