Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Black and White Dulce de Leche Bars with Roasted White Chocolate & Iron Baker Challenge

Remember this post where I introduced you to the Iron Chef-like challenge?  Well the entries are in and the voting has begun!  There are 10 great entries but only one of them is MINE.  I'm asking for a simple favor.  I don't ask for much, I just need your vote.  You don't have to sign up, register, be a fan, or anything fancy, just leave a comment to vote for me.  I'd really appreciate it!  You can go here to view the entries and post your comment.

Here's what I entered:
Black and White Dulce de Leche Bars with Roasted White Chocolate


Is your mouth watering?  Why are you still here?!  Pop on over to 20 Going on 80 to get the recipe and cast your vote!  Please.  Pretty please with sugar on top!!  You have until midnight Sunday to vote.  Thank you for your support.


Black and White Dulce de Leche Bars
with Roasted White Chocolate

For the crust:
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup white-whole wheat flour (50/50 blend)
5 T. butter, cold

For the filling:
1 T. butter
1 can reduced-fat sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla
For the topping:
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
6 oz good quality white chocolate
1 T. almond milk

To prepare the crust: Preheat oven to 375. In a food processor or Vitamix, process the walnuts and oats until they resemble coarse meal. In a mixing bowl, combine flour and processed nuts and oats. Cube the 5 T. butter and add to flour mixture. Using a pastry blender or your fingers, blend until the butter is the size of small peas. Press into the bottom of a greased 8- or 9-inch square baking dish. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until edges just barely start to brown. Set aside. Reduce oven tempera­ture to 350.

To prepare filling: While the crust is baking, melt 1 T. butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add condensed milk and cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Pour the condensed milk mixture over the prepared crust. Bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.

For the topping: Melt 1/2 of the chocolate in the microwave with the tablespoon or almond milk or regular milk in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval.

Remove the pan from the oven and quickly scatter the chocolate chips on top. Allow to sit for 1-2 minutes, then spread with a butter knife. Add the melted white chocolate by spoonfuls and swirl with the chocolate.

For an added punch, increase the oven temperature to 400 and place remaining white chocolate in a glass dish. Roast for 10-15 minutes, or until the top starts to turn brown. Remove from oven and let cool 10-15 minutes or until it’s cool enough to touch. Crumble the white chocolate over the top of the dish.

Refrigerate at least 2 hours before cutting.





Also linking up to Lady Behind the Curtain, A Little Nosh's Tastetastic Thursday, and It's a Keeper Thursday.

19 comments:

  1. I voted! Now you can fedex me some of those bars:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i voted!! at least i think i did... twice... but my comment didn't show up after refreshing? wondering if the comments need to be approved before they are published? i'll check again later to make sure my vote showed up. those bars look AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did show up! Thanks for voting! You're the best (:

      Delete
  3. WOW!!! These look fantastic! I was totally going to enter after seeing your post but I ran out of time with the little one . I voted for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on my way to vote now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm more than happy to vote for this delicious bar, Danielle! Love anything with white chocolate, and these look FABULOUS...good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm delighted to cast my vote for this decadent delight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bars look great and I've cast my vote. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go Danielle! Those look delish! And by the way- I know I've been MIA but did that kind of on purpose. Needed to re-prioritize my life for a bit. Thanks for thinking of me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I voted! They look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lady!!! I voted I voted! I save all my fave blogs to read last and the title of this one sounded FAB so I hadn't read it yet! Just email me whenever you have something like this! (At least I get it together again. Someday.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. voted- thanks for the nice comments on my apple party

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're too sweet Danielle, thanks! And, Lucy has a better wardrobe than me as well-ha! Just voted....looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete