Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Weekly Recipe: Cheese Stuffed Hot Dogs with Spicy Onions

Nothing like coming back to the weekly recipe roundup with something like a hot dog.  Not too glamorous but oh so tasty!  Not every meal can be perfectly healthy, right?  Wes and Colin love hot dogs.  Period.  Wes loves Chicago-style and chili dogs but declared these as his new all-time favorite.  That's quite a statement from such a hot dog lover.  By the way, it's impossible for me to not hear Harry Caray say "hawt dawg" when I write the words.  Nonetheless, this is a super yummy, not very healthy recipe that I think you should try.  Even if you want to skip the dog, the onions would be great on hamburgers or any sandwich. 


CHEESE STUFFED HOT DOGS WITH SPICY ONIONS
Source:  Rachel Ray Magazine March 2009
 
4 franks
2 T. grill seasoning
2 deli slices sharp cheddar cheese, cut into ½-inch strips
2 T. olive oil
2 small onions, sliced ¼ inch thick
2 T. brown sugar
1 tsp finely chopped chipotle chile in adobo sauce
Salt
2 T. butter, melted (I omitted)
4 hot dog buns

Preheat broiler.  Make a slit in dog, being careful not to cut all the way through.  Place the grill seasoning and franks in a plastic bad; shake to coat.  Place the dogs on a baking sheet and stuff each with 2 or 3 strips of cheese.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-low heat.  Add the onions and cook until softened and golden, 12-15 minutes.  Add the brown sugar, chipotle, adobo sauce and ½ tsp salt and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes.
Butter the insides of the buns and place face up on the baking sheet with the franks.  Broil until the cheese melts and the buns are toasted, 3-5 minutes.  Assemble the dogs and top with caramelized onions.


10 comments:

  1. It makes me feel better to know that you don't eat healthy all the time! :)

    And, also, I couldn't help but laugh out loud when I just read your comment on my last post! I know, I catch a lot of grief with him being a Duke fan. My family is full of die hard UK fans, so there's always lots of taunting and nasty text messaging back and forth during basketball season. Good thing they all love him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Danielle, Thank you for checking out my shop. I'd love to make a custom order for you. And what a cool idea. I love the idea of a little birdie or something to add to it to. Just drop my a line with what sizes, colors/patterns you'd like and I'll come up with something for you. My email is m.chphotography@hotmail.com. I don't have any 12 months on hand right now. But I'd be happy to do a neck tie or elephant in that size for you. Again just let me know what colors you like.

    Thanks :)
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! I just made a Rachael Ray hotdog recently ... it was her Devilish Chili Cheese dog - yum!!! Pierce and Sam ate their man meal in the mancave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I am drooling over this picture. I love hot dogs and this sounds fantastic. I cant wait to make this!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prior to my pregnancy, I hated hotdogs. During my pregnancy I craved them all of the time. And even now I still love them. I am going to have to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Danielle, you're amazing! I love that link you sent me! I can't beleive I've never been to that blog before...I'm definitely a fan now! She got her bench at Company Store Kids and I love it! It's a very real possibility since it isn't very deep! I could still use my double rows of hooks maybe. I woule LOVE to do her board and batten project, but I don't know that my hubby would be happy with me! Thank you so much for your help!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought I'd see you post a hot dog recipe, but I love it and it makes me feel better about what we eat at times : )

    This reminds me of something my Dad made when we were little and my Mom was out of town. He'd split a hot dog in half, top with cheese, then mashed potatoes, then a little more cheese and put under the broiler, no bun required, but a fork defnitely. Sounds a little odd, but delicious to a 10-year old and her kid brother : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to say 'thank you' for your sweet words of encouragement -- it really means a lot to me to read such positive comments, and I want you to know that they truly are appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  9. www.tabletopics.com. there are seveeral different categories: original, family, girls night out, etc...

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound great! Comfort food at its best!

    ReplyDelete